Vegetable & Coconut Korma for Baby


I starting making this curry for Cooper when he was about 10 month's old. The coconut and milk help to make this a mild curry, with the flavour of spices, but not the heat.

I think it is a really good idea to introduce herbs and spices into baby food really early. If a baby is only given bland food, then you could have difficulty in introducing new tastes and more flavour later on. Just be careful to make the spices you add quite mild. You have to remember a baby's palate is really sharp and new flavours are powerful on a baby's tongue, unlike our palates that have become jaded as the years go by.

This is a great curry for everyone to enjoy. You can spice it up a bit for older children and adults. You might prefer to serve it with rice. I like making it with couscous because it freezes well and there are not safety issues with reheating couscous, like there is with rice.

print recipe
Vegetable and Coconut Korma for Baby
Written by

February 24, 2012

I started making this korma for Cooper when he was about 10 months old. I serve it with couscous instead of rice,which he prefers.
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 medium carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 large field mushroom, chopped
  • 4 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried coriander or a small handful of fresh corainder, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 medium potato, very finely diced
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 1 ¼ cups water
  • 1⁄3 cup desiccated coconut
  • ½ cup couscous
  • 1 cup milk or soy milk
Instructions
1. Saute the onion and carrots until soft, then add the mushroom and cook for another couple of minutes.2. Add the tomato puree and herbs and stir.
3.
Add the potato, chickpeas, coconut and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the vegetales are tender. Check to see if it needs a little more water as it is simmering.
4. Add the couscous and milk and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes until the couscous has fluffed up.
Details
Total time: Yield: 5 portions for a 10-12 month old baby



5 comments:

  1. Very tasty, I wouldn't mind some of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Janice - I'll have some of that too please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jac, I think this is a really lovely recipe and I agree that it's a great idea to introduce lots of different flavours when they are young. I kind of missed that bit when they were babies, so now I'm having to gradually introduce things to them. I will make this for mine, they'll love it. Ren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an easy one to make Janice, just make it a bit spicier for yourself :)

    I will ask Janice to make a bigger batch Jan, hehe :D

    It goes in stages anyway Ren and you just have to go with the flow I think. Cooper was great, but he goes through phases of not wanting things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...