Healthy Chocolate Mousse



This is Cooper's favourite pudding. Well, it's chocolate, isn't it? What he doesn't know is that it is super healthy! The tofu is packed with protein, iron, calcium, manganese, tryptophan, omega 3 fatty acids and so the list goes on and it is low in fat. It is also good for lowering cholesterol, which is good news for adults too. The bananas are full of vitamin c, potassium and vitamin B6. The chocolate, as well as being yummy, contains antioxidants.

And best of all this mousse is quick, tastes delicious and is a great way of using up ripe bananas.






print recipe

Healthy Chocolate Mousse
Written by

January 7, 2012

My little boy loves this chocolate pudding and he thinks he is getting a treat, but I know I am filling him with protein, iron, calcium, vitamins and potassium. It's a win/win situation.
Ingredients
  • 349g box firm silken tofu
  • 2 large ripe bananas
  • 3 heaped tsp good quality cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 square 70% dark chocolate
Instructions
1. Pop the bananas, tofu, cocoa and vanilla extract into a food processor and whizz until soft and well blended. If you don't have a food food processor, you can mash the bananas and tofu with a fork until really smooth, then add the other ingredients and mix well.2. Pour your mousse into a bowl, then grate the chocolate finely over the top.3. Chill until you are ready to serve. I haven't tried freezing this yet, but I imagine it would freeze well.
Details

Total time: Yield: 6-8 portions



Sometime I add some philadelphia soft cheese to this mousse and sometime I add some avocado. You could change the flavour by adding some fresh mint or you could also add a little orange peel and orange juice to make a delicious chocolate orange mousse. It really is versatile. I do hope you try it, be it for children or adults.

12 months to adult

I am submitting this mousse to this month's You Should Cocoa which is hosted by Chele over at Chocolate Teapot this month. The topic this month is health conscious. Thanks to Janice for reminding me.

I am also entering it to New "U", a healthy food challenge for the new year which is being hosted over at Zesty Palette. It can be sweet, savory, etc., any part of the meal, any cuisine, any mode of cooking, basically anything vegetarian. (Eggs are allowed in baking.

I am going challenge crazy here and entering my mousse for Cook.Eat.Delicious - Desserts. The theme this month is fresh produce which my bananas fit into nicely. Veggie Platter is hosting this month, but the challenge is the brain-child of Cook.Eat.Delicious.

One last challenge. A new weekly challenge from Ren over at Fabulicious Food. Ren has come up with the idea of Family Friendly Fridays. Simply add your family meals to the linky each week.

20 comments:

  1. Oh lovely, this would work for the We should Cocoa challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it does, maybe I will add it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. when a recipe is that good you have got to share it :-) I still have it bookmarked to try - and I should do because today when I asked Sylvia who loves chocolate she said "me"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Johanna, Who doesn't love chocolate and at least you know it is packing a nutricious punch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made tofu mousse.. didn't like the taste much. adding banana is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Kavi, You definitely need the other flavours. The tofu is more of a texture than a flavour, but it carries other flavours well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice use of tofu and I am bookmarking this. Thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
    Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tofu and chocolate? I must give this a try! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's ok Ros, you are going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple yet scrumptious. Thanks for linking such a delicious and healthy entry to my event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Cooper is going to grow up to be such a super healthy young man. Love the way you care so much about his diet Jac.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do try Choclette, but I am sure I could do better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really unusual recipes! I'll definitely try the tofu. Thanks so much for entering Family Friendly Fridays! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, just wondering how big the square of chocolate is. Could you tell the amount in grams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is up to you how much chocolate you grate on top, as it is just a garnish. A piece about 2 cm square would be plenty.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...