Spinach & Pea Pesto














I love pesto and I have started introducing it into Cooper's diet too. Add some spinach and peas to it and you have a powerhouse of nutrients. Just right for baby. (Only add nuts to your pesto if you know your baby or toddler does not have an allergy to nuts. I tested Cooper out by giving him a little peanut butter when he was 10 months old. We don't have any nut allergies in the family, so I felt confident enough to try it out. If you do have a history of allergies in the family, it may be better to make the pesto without the nuts)

I do make a couple of changes to his portion. I use less garlic as he can find it a bit overpowering and I add a spoonful of Philadelphia soft cheese and he loves it. A child after his mother's heart.

Of course, I have to keep checking it to make sure it is perfect. Just a spoonful and another and another....... Yum!

print recipe
Spinach & Pea Pesto
The perfect pesto for you and your little ones.
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup frozen peas (I prefer petit pois as they are sweeter)
  • 1 cup blanched baby spinach
  • 1 large handful fresh basil
  • ½ cup grated parmesan
  • ½ cup unsalted cashew nuts
  • 1 clove garlic
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • a squeeze of lemon juice
  • freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
Simply add all your ingredients to a food processor and whizz.

Pesto is one of those things that isn't an exact science, so you can add less garlic, more olive oil, less or more cheese. Just taste it and adjust it until it has the right texture and the flavour you like.

Leave the parmesan out if you want a vegan version, which is just as delicious.

It is just gorgeous!
Details
Total time: Yield: 2 cups of pesto




2 comments:

  1. This would be a great Presto Pasta Night entry... for the little kids of all ages. I can't wait to try some.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...